The upper slide was saved and reused on new wooden blocks.


This story also helps me deal with something I had forgotten: the two signal light at the upper corners of the roof. The roof is drilled to allow 3mm optical fiber to come through. The wall part is rather thick and must be heavily sand in the corners (inner side). The optical fiber is softened with a lighter to make an elbow.

IMG_8762 IMG_8763 IMG_8764 IMG_8768 IMG_8770 IMG_8771

The bottom slide is quickly performed on the same principle as the top one.

IMG_8775 IMG_8776 IMG_8777 IMG_8778

The main building is glued to a wooden base, bringing it at the same level as the central disk.

IMG_8699 IMG_8708 IMG_8709

The service platform is also mounted on a rectangular wooden base. Wood blocks will also provide good support on the sides.

IMG_8702 IMG_8703

The floor is made of thick cardboard (3mm)

IMG_8707 IMG_8710

then covered with plastic card 0.5mm


Here are some test shots pictures during the different steps presented in this post. It's starting to look interesting :)

IMG_8705 IMG_8722 IMG_8724

Next step : the lunar surface. It is made from foam plates worked with a blowtorch (the room must by aired frequently. I avoided ventilation during the operation as I did not wanted that an air blow returned the flame in my face)

IMG_8780 IMG_8782

The foam boards are then cut to the right dimensions. It is important to not do it before heating the foam, as it retracted slightly on all the edges, and are no longer straight.

IMG_8785 IMG_8786 IMG_8787

The moonbase has migrated to Tatooine! :)

IMG_8798 IMG_8799 IMG_8800

A side effect is that the foam surface "caramelizes" under the action of the flame. This does not fit yet with a very dusty lunar surface.


On a spare part, I did a first test by covering the foam with a mixture of paint and of sand.
To be exact, with no sand on hand, but bags of roughcast remaining since a face lift of my house frontage, So I gave it a shot.
I had seen the workers spraying with water by a system looking like a paint gun. But mixing a little of this material with water in a jar, they did not mix together.
So I tried with white spirit, and I immediately get thinned paint (the wall color) and a layer of sand.
In short:
- Roughcast is made of sand and glycero paint !
- Fortunately, it just do not mix with water, it would not come very useful if we don't want our walls to run every time it rains !
- The workers used water as a "vehicle" and not as a thinner.
End of digression ;-)

So I mixed the roughcast with black glycero paint and I spreaded this sandy and pasty mixture on the caramelized foam part with on old paintbrush, and I find the result rather encouraging. The photos are not great, because the device was very hard to get focus.

IMG_8791 IMG_8796

To prevent light leakage from the LED, the inner sides of the buildings and central disk received an aluminium coat covered with black (bith with spray can)